skip to Main Content
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jfoster21
    Participant

Hey guys,
    1. Is there a general prescribed algorithm for recovery time based on training time?

Cody Waite
    Participant

Not that I am aware of.

That said, some Garmin devices use a HRV algorithm to provide a recovery time recommendation following workouts (when you save them post ride). While these metrics were fun to see, I didn’t find them particularly useful.

Other HRV based devices like WHOOP and some HRV phone apps attempt to quantify recovery needs based on training and HRV status. I’ve played around a bit with some, again not personally finding them useful, but perhaps for someone newer to training they might be beneficial.

Anyone else on the forum have experience with “recovery measurement” devices out there?

Jon Sisk
    Keymaster

Those Garmin recovery recommendations are pretty entertaining. My neighbor and I compare them to see who really worked harder on our rides 🙂

It does seem like something that you could estimate with TSS. Kind of like a bank – maybe you make deposits (recover) at the rate of 40 TSS a day. So if you make a withdrawl (do a ride) with a TSS of 80, you’d need 2 days to fully recover and get your account balance back to where you started. With a 40 TSS ride you could go again the next day. Would have to experiment to figure out your personal recovery rate but it might be an interesting place to start.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.